Rum Cake



This past Friday we celebrated my husband's 40th birthday. It was a big to do. And of course I made his favorite cake, rum cake. It's usually a bundt cake, but I do everything in my own way and he asked for the tower of rummy doom I have perfected. Considering he literally invited the entire Charlotte NOSQ I tripled my recipe and and used 4 different sized pans to make the cupcake. And 1.5 bottles of rum. I even made towers at the corner with a spiral stack of mini cupcakes. It was awesome. And I made a center moat of rum glaze in a bowl for dipping. If I hadn't been so drunk at that point I would have gotten pictures. But we didn't get to the cake until we had been partying for hours. So sorry, no pics from me.
Edit: I added a picture of the leftover cupcakes I had put away.

But I do have the recipe.

Rum Cake
Cake:
1 yellow cake mix
4 eggs
½ cup water
½ cup oil
2/3 cup rum

Heat oven to 325. Generously grease bunt pan. Mix all ingredients in medium bowl until smooth. Pour into bunt pan and bake 1 hour. Let cool in pan. Invert pan on serving tray. Wait five minutes. Slowly remove pan. If cake sticks, hold at slight angle and gently use a spatula to separate rim of
cake from pan. Let sit again and remove pan. Use a fork or toothpick and poke holes all over surface of cake once it is cooled.
If using a 9x13 pan cook at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Once cooled pierce the top repeatedly all over, then cut into squares.

Glaze:
½ cup butter
¼ cup water
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup rum
Put butter, water and sugar in small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until boiling hard. Let boil on med-low heat for five minutes without stirring. Remove from heat. Slowly add rum. This will cause the mixture to bubble and steam so be careful! Being careful of the steam, stir quickly. Spoon on top of your cake slowly so it has time to soak in. Spoon any spillovers back onto the cake. Cover if possible. If it is covered the glaze soaks in better. Uncovered it will form a tacky shell on top.

The longer this cake sits, the more boozy it becomes. The cake itself will also break down and fall apart if it sits too many days.

Do not drive, try to operate heavy machinery, or pick up a date after eating cake.

I personally do not let children eat this cake because the rum doesn't NOT bake out enough.

Comments