The old King with Four Wives rewritten

Once upon a time there was a king with four wives, one day the old king became sick. Soon he was on his death bed. He was afraid of dying alone so he asked for his fourth wife, for whom he had bought diamonds, jewelry and elegant clothing, and loved the most. He asked her to stay with him, at his side, until the end.
The fourth wife replied, "I’m sorry I can’t do that," fearing to catch his illness.

He also loved his third wife. He was very proud of her beauty and would show her off to when he was on state visits, so he called on his third wife and asked her to come sit with him.
The third wife replied I love my life too much. I’m sorry I cannot go with you and when you die I’m going to remarry

His second wife has always been there for him in his times of need. She was always at hand behind him, to give him advice or direction. So he asked her to come be with him in his time of need.
The second wife replied I’m sorry that I can’t help you out this time, but what I can do is arrange your funeral and I will be there for your funeral.

With a sigh of dejection, he finally called for his first wife. The door opened at last. The King looked it was his first wife, but this was the wife that he took care of the least. He felt embarrassed and said I’m sorry I should’ve taken better care of you and given you more attention when I was alive.

The queen looked down at the threshold and shrugged. "I loved you. You married me. Together we made wonderful children. Then you set me aside and took other women. Setting them in my place until they were in turn replaced. Now I am Queen, and you are a talking dead man."
"But I do not want to die alone!" the old king called out.
"Then you should have learned to love the people who loved you."

Moral of the story: If you treat people like possessions always remember, your possessions do not care when you die.

Comments